Tuesday, July 30, 2013

How to clean Makeup Brushes

Hi,

This is a very short post on how I clean my makeup brushes.

I usually clean my brushes every once a month or depending on the makeup usage. This time I went to my home to attend the wedding function of my sister-in-law. I took a 20 days long break and needless to say that my brushes were  used extensively. I didn't want to wash my brushes there, so I waited to be back home to clean them up.

What I use ??

  • Hair Shampoo,
  • Anti-Bacterial Hand Wash, 
  • Hair Conditioner


Process:


  • Swirl the brushes on a dry towel to remove any extra makeup which can be removed.. (Just an unnecessary step but I like to do it ).
  • Take a bowl and make a mixture of shampoo + Anti-bacterial hand wash (1:1 ratio) and few drops of water.
  • Dip the brush and collect some soap mixture. 
  • Rub the brush on the palm in swirling motion. You might want to clean it with water and reuse soap mixture depending how much makeup residue is there. After all makeup is removed clean the brush with plain water. I prefer not to leave the brush in water. 
  • Take some conditioner in a bowl an mix little water in it.
  • Dip the brush in this mixture and remove the extra product by squeezing it gently. Leave for about a minute and then wash thoroughly with water. Squeeze extra water gently with fingers.
  • Dry the brushes flat in shade.
Some points to keep in mind:

  • Don't leave the brush in water for a long time. Leaving the brush for long time in water loosens the glue at the bottom of the bristles and the hair will start shedding.
  • Try to keep the bristles part down for the same reasons as mentioned above.
  • Try that water does not wet the rim of the brush where the barrel is attached with the bristles. ( As in Pic 3, water should not wet the part  where the black barrel is fitted into the silver metal piece). If water enters this part, it will loosen the glue which holds both parts together and the barrel will snap out of the metal piece.
  • Dont rub the bristles too hard at any point of time as they will loose the shape.
  • Keep pressing the bristles gently between two fingers so that the bristles dont loose their shape.
  • While drying make sure not to leave the brushes in direct sunlight as it will harden the bristles.
  • Keep then either on a flat surface or hang them upside down (bristles downwards). 
  • keep rotating the brush every 10-15 min while they are drying and use windshield wiper motion and swirl motion once or twice so that hair dont stick together and stay in shape. 

Will do a separate post on my brush collection ...

Stay Beautiful,

8 comments:

  1. Such a useful post dear .. Drooling over your brush collection <3 I want them all ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank u .. Will soon do post for my collection :)

      Delete
  2. nice post on cleaning the brushes. you have a good collection i must say. ty

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love how you use the antiacterian hand wash. i should try it that way. great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very useful post Shweta.. i am really obsessed abt keeping my brushes clean..Lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh ya you must do a separate post on your brush collection..

    ReplyDelete
  6. very nice post your brush look so cute :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...