Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder - Fairness

Helloo Friends,

I came across this article on TIMES OF INDIA which I would like to share. I hate this topic to an extend that I find it being racist.I use such a strong word because it is the harsh truth of our society. From a kid to an adult  everyone should be fair. when a lady conceives a child , people around her will tell her 1000 different things  so the child is born fair. From being a preferred  student to preferred candidate in a job interview , a fair skin get it all. Ahhhh !! I am so disgusted with this topic that I can't even say more please read the article and try and open up your brains.




Indians obsessed with fairness creams

Stuti Agarwal, TNN 


With WHO issuing a warning that fairness creams ruin your skin, we bring out the 'un'fair play of advertising.

What connects Shah Rukh Khan, Shahid Kapur,John Abraham, Genelia D'Souza, Deepika Padukone and now Yaami Gautam? They have all endorsed fairness creams, which promise to be your ticket to the world of glamour.

That Indians are obsessed with fairness is evident from the way these creams do brisk business in the country. But is everything fair in the advertising game?

A recent warning issued by the World Health Organization (WHO) says that the common ingredient in skin lightening products — mercury — can have adverse effects such as kidney damage, reduction in the skin's resistance to bacterial and fungal infections, anxiety, depression or psychosis and also peripheral neuropathy.

The warning is especially serious for India as 61% of the dermatological market here consists of skin lightening products. Apart from mercury, the creams also contain harmful ingredients such as hydroquinone and ammonia.

"Hydroquinone leads to permanent disruption of melanocytes, which produces melanins. After long use, some cells become permanently inactive resulting in white patches," said dermatologist Rathindra Nath Dutta.

Beautician Prairna Khuller said the creams also have raw acid in the form of ammonia. 

"Ammonia is a bleaching agent which burns the skin. Not surprisingly, advertisements for fairness creams afford to come with a shade card to mark the stages in the progress from dark to a lighter skin. Regular use of such products loosens the skin leading to wrinkles."

Consultant dermatologist Saumya Panda said, "I haven't read the WHO report so its difficult for me to comment. But it's true that these creams contain mercury which is a hypo pigmenting agent. I feel, the findings should be taken seriously."

Yaami Gautam, who is the brand ambassador of a leading fairness cream in the country, said, "The cream has been there in the market from before I was born. And it has just grown bigger and bigger. If people had faced skin issues after applying it, they would have come forward. However, that doesn't mean I'm challenging WHO — it's a global watchdog and its findings must have some basis. But I'm sure once the manufacturing companies know of it, they will behave responsibly."
Next time, look before you make the 'un'fair deal. The names to look for on the cover include mercury, Hg, mercuric iodide, mercurous chloride, ammoniated mercury, amide chloride of mercury, quicksilver, cinnabaris, hydrargyri oxydum rubrum (mercury oxide), mercury iodide. Directions to avoid contact with silver, gold, rubber, aluminum and jewellery may also indicate the presence of mercury.

13 comments:

  1. Shweta, I've even stopped going to beauty parlours for more than a year now because those stooooopid people tell me to get skin lightening facials. Grrrr. I agree, you need anti-pigmentation cream for under-eye circles or post-pimple blemishes. But to "lighten the skin"??? If these products actually worked and did what they claimed, half the world's population would have been eradicated or would look like the other half!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. U r absolutely true Renu, anti- scar n under eye pigmentation is fine, but just wanting to change the complete skin tone is different. these products have very limited effect. But what disgusts me more is the whole concept of changing yourself and not accepting people or discriminating on the color of their skin. we all are so educated but still this feeling deep routed within us that fair is beautiful .. just tell me why is a fair skinned person better than a wheatish or darker skin person. its just crap..

      Delete
  2. Ah! Im glad TOI published this n u posted it here! I really dnt gt d obsession with fairness in our country n nt juz india bt most asain countries.i do use a fairness face wash but only cuz i like it n not cuz i wanna be fairer :p I will still buy it if loreal markets it as a deep cleansing face wash n gets rid of the fairness tag

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. see i am least bothered about how these stuff effects a persons skin, but i am more bothered about people mentality.. i have seen MILs literally stopping their Daughter - in - law to eat anything thats dark in color because that will effect the skin tone of the unborn child.

      Delete
  3. Shweta, it's a generations old belief that white is beautiful black is ugly. You know even the people in this generation think so. Recently one young lady who is around 28-29 yrs told me that she was very tensed whether her daughter will be dark like her mother-in-law when she was pregnant. she was thanking god that her daughter turned out to be fair like her! One reason for this is the problem in finding groom for dark girls in northern side of India mainly. One cousin of my husband also had difficulty since she is not fair in the marriage market!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. exactly - this is what i hate .. why cant darker girls find good match ?

      Delete
  4. I agree with every point..It is so idiotic concept :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah .. its completely shameless .. whenever any of my readers ask me about any fairness treatment, I try to make them aware of this nonsense. but i guess they might think that i am crazy , so i just needed to share this article.

      Delete
  5. It is very funny to think that only a fair skinned person can look good. In my opinion every one can look good if they shun their minds from such stupid thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i cannot agree more .. i love duskier beauties better than the fairer ones..

      Delete
  6. Very informative post,and I respect ur thoughts that fairer is not always beautiful

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...