Friday, November 23, 2012

Open Pores





Many of us have this problem of "Open Pores". But what is actually these open pores and how can we remove them? I say the answer is very simple, Please let me explain .. 
A normal pore on skin is very tiny, you can barely see it. If there is a clog in the pore the actual size of the pore will become larger depending on the size of the clog. A program of regular exfoliating and cleansing can actually shrink and dissolve the clogs, and if the clog dissolves, the pore size gets small. As a matter of fact when people use steam in shower or steaming that temporarily increases the size of the pore a little bit, so at this point of time you can use your granule cleansers to get the granules into the clogged pores to help them clean them out much better.
So, do the pores actually open and close, the answer is No! it is just the size of the pore which changes due to the clogging in the pore. It gets bigger if there is clog in the pore and it can get smaller when the clog is cleaned out.

What causes Clogging of the pores?
Clogged pores look like dark dots or light dots. The real reason you see enlarged pores is because they cast shadows as there are little holes in opening of the pore. Those enlarged pores are caused by oil trapped inside. The round circle you see is the end of a tube which comes from the oil gland below the skin( the tube comes upto the surface of the skin). The purpose of the tube is to conduct the oil up from the gland and out to the skin. That tube has inner skin which has dead cell too. And as the oil comes up through the tube, it mixes with these dead cells. If it mixes with too many dead cell you get a clog. This causes enlarged pores.

What can we do to get rid of these clogged pores?
Simple exfoliate! Steam your face for about 2-3 minutes or may be take a hot shower. The steam will help you loosen up the pore. Take a gentle granular scrub and massage gently for no more than a minute, wash off and pat dry.
There is one more step you can take after this, take a glycolic acid based cream (strength 8-10%) or salicylic acid based cream (strength 2-3%) and apply on your face and leave it. These two acids are the chemical exfoliants. These work better than the granular exfoliators.
Do this step everyday for two weeks and you will notice the pores get back to normal. 

Product to use?
Please refer to my earlier post Troubleshooting Exfoliation  

Stay Beautiful :)
Shweta

18 comments:

  1. That is some great advice ! yes a lot of us must be facing this problem. Thanks for sharing !!

    following you now !

    Much Love
    Heiress
    The Heiress Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. NIce tips I have open pores near by my nose area :( I use tomato n rose water to close the pores :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow superb article Shweta <3 Luckily i dont have open pores :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. U r lucky .. I have seen people with skin like orange's peel :P ... I used to have few as well but they have vanished since i adopted this routine .. :)

      Delete
  4. Hey this is a post to be bookmarked! Very useful for me. But I have a doubt, I cant find open pores in my face. I am not sure whether i don't have them or i am not able to detect it. Is there any method by which we can see open pores???

    ReplyDelete
  5. thnx a ton sweta m also facing this problem and i request you please tell solution for acne in you next post bcoz i have 2 or 3 nail marks on my face and burn marks on my hand

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bharti, U might want t read http://shwetasarawgi.blogspot.in/2013/03/skin-care-routine-for-acne-prone-skin.html for your acne related issues ... As for burn marks u must consult a doctor, There are ointments which can reduce the pigmentation of the marks.

      Delete
  6. Good article..I shall try this but before that I would like to know the exfoliator can I use the one from Forest Essential(Narangi & Nagkesar Facial Ubtan) or do I have to use another one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nikitha,
      FE makes very good scrubs and unbtans. And indeed Narangi & Nagkesar is one of the best in their range. You must use it regularly but still if u dont find your pores reducing u can try Glycolic or Salicylic acids in the facial routine

      Delete
  7. Salicylic acids helps a lot! nice post Shweta! quite informative:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Salicylic and glycolic are my favourites :)

      Delete
  8. I find splashing cold water at the end very useful for open pores! Nice article Shweta :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...